Monday, September 14, 2009

The classic city of Savannah, a modern marvel

Landing in the middle of the forest I wondered where exactly was Savannah. There wasn’t another building in site. This was very refreshing, not to mention the crisp and clean air. Jumping into the car I am starving and am anticipating the normal traffic that I’ve encountered everywhere. With about three other cars on the highway it was relatively easy to merge. As we got closer to Savannah I could feel the history.

The buildings were out of the 19th century, with a seemingly very effective infrastructure.

The world renowned Savannah college of art and design has taken upon itself the job of refurbishing these classic buildings by integrating it into its curriculum.

The history Is well maintained and its sense of community is strikingly different to most of the american places I have been to...there is one!!


Day 2

Leaving the past behind I drove across the highway to be met by non other than SPRAWL!!!! We ended up using an entire day to pick up a few clothes and a computer..... This was absurd to me. While sitting to grab a bite in a food court the chatter of a few ladies a few tables away caught my attention. All of these ladies had infants with them and a new ‘build a bear’ wit them.... Is this what new young mothers do with their babies and time? Where was the park? Somewhere with a real environment to take these newborns....

Once back on the campus I could easily navigate through the simple grid style infrastructure. If I had any problem there was always a friendly warm face around. People actually greeted you as they walk by on the street: “hey, how are you man?” This was something I had learnt to never expect from anyone in the US.

With frequent police patrols I never felt unsafe while I walk up to City Street, a place filled with action and activities. People of all ages and all walks of life were around, adding character to the environment. Live bands and outdoor dining are all simple things to create interaction with others in a seamless fashion,

Surprisingly enough the nightlife shut down pretty early, before 12. I didn't inquire as to why but I assume due to noise regulations or something of that nature.

All in all Savannah is definitely not sprawl. It is the classic model simply being pumped with refreshing nutrients easing it into the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Places We've Been... Where each member of Bloggers1101 has Traveled To

The markers indicate where each member has gone. Pink: Lauren Young........ Blue: Steven Waugh......... Yellow: Philip Miller........ Green: Stephen Sealy......... View Stevens Map in a larger map