No Impact Man
By: Lauren Young
Well, suburban nation mainly just discusses sprawl and why its bad, however, it neglects certain problems sprawl causes, such as extreme amounts of trash. The book does not even go into depth about how much trash Americans produce and how cities are running out of room for trash. This interesting documentary was conducted by a man who decided to become "No Impact Man." He agreed that for one year he would not produce any trash. He would not use any energy (no subway, taxi, electricity, etc.). Also, he got rid of cosmetics, anything disposable, and made many other sacrifices. I thought the concept of this is really interesting because it would be so hard to give all that up for a year. Also, I had never thought about the impact that each person makes on the environment. For example, each person creates around 1600 lbs of trash per year.
Trash is a serious part of Americans lives. Americans produce way more than any other country and we also recycle less than many other countries. We need to start developing solutions to these problems. It is predicted that by 2050 all our landfills will reach full capacity and new ones will have to be opened. This class I'm taking now focuses on trash and it has really opened my eyes to how much waste I produce. The trailer was very well done though and I felt that it was a neat video to share.
No comments:
Post a Comment